Bootery

Bootmaker

February 15, 2015 12:39 am Comments are Disabled

Housed in the Village’s original shop/kiosk, the Bootery is named after Miles’ first boot maker, CC Gundry. The collection represents an early boot making business and maintains its relevance to the village as a type of business present during the early to mid 1900’s.

Miles resident Mr Charley Gundry learned the skill of boot making in England as part of rehabilitation and skill building after losing a leg during WW1 service. In 1919 he opened a boot makers shop where he made, sold and repaired shoes. The business was known as CC Gundry and later as GG Gundry and Sons. Mr Charley Gungry’s grandson Ross Gundry continued the successful business until 2001.

The collection includes information in relation to the process of making boots and early boot making equipment, the majority of which was donated by Mr Jack Curry who operated a boot making shop in Toowoomba for many years. Information on Mr Curry’s life as a champion roller skater as well as a boot maker can be read at the village. Mr Lester Plant, a former boot maker from Chinchilla kindly donated the wooden lasts.

Details

Item Date
Details
Dimensions
Donated by
Jack Curry Toowoomba, Lester Plant Chinchilla

Comments are closed

Swarovski online Swarovski outlet online tommy hilfiger outlet online tommy hilfiger outlet store Tommy Hilfiger Outlet Sale